About this blog

My photo
I am a TV and video producer. I have upped sticks from London with my girlfriend Jess, and gone travelling through Asia. We are then moving to Sydney to live and work. This blog charts our thoughts and experiences. Oh, by the way, I am also a MASSIVE Arsenal fan. I gave up my season ticket for this trip, a big call I know. I have decided to meet Arsenal fans and fan clubs around Asia and Australasia and post about them. Jess loves that. Ha.

Tuesday 18 October 2011

Climbing Volcanoes

Gunung Bromo


Things we learnt about Gunung Bromo and Gunung Ijen:
  •             Gunung means volcano.  OK, we already knew that but it serves well to mention it again here.  
  •      It can be cold on top of volcanoes, even in Indonesia.  
  •             The sulphur miners of Ijen are bloody hard bastards.
  •      When an Indonesian driver is trying to persuade you to go with him, DOUBLE how long he tells you the journey will take.
In Yogyakarta we decided pretty quickly that we would want to travel to Java’s east coast by land before getting the ferry to Bali, not least because there are some stunning volcanoes to see on the way.  It’s a long old journey, a couple of days driving, but we thought we could break it up by staying near and climbing a couple of volcanoes on the way.  That was the easy bit.  The tough bit was working out how we would get there.  Mount Bromo would be our first stop and we were in the process of working out a route via train and bus when a piece of luck came our way. Or so we thought. 

We were in a becak when at a crossroads our panting and apparently asthmatic driver strangely decided to engage us in conversation.  You can feel pretty guilty when trying to have a conversation with a man while he is grunting away trying to cycle you up a hill, but he was quite persistent.  He established that we wanted to go to Bromo and offered to drive us there.  No, not in his becak – that would have amounted to manslaughter – but in his lovely air conditioned car.  It was dramatically more expensive than the public transport method but we weren’t yet fully into backpacker mode so after some deliberation we decided to go with convenience and speed.  Great decision.  Except that it took 12 hours – 2 hours longer than public transport and 6 hours longer than he told us it would take.

As a result we arrived at the mountain village of Cemaro Lewang in the dead of night.  Owing to the altitude, it was frigging freezing and we were unsuitably attired in regulation shorts and t-shirt.  The village was a ghost town but luckily we had pre-booked a hostel.  Our friendly driver helped us with our bags and we headed off to our quarters.  To make sunrise we would have to set off for the view point at 4am so while Jess settled into the very chilly room, I went to the reception to try and charter a 4x4 and driver. 

Now, what happened at the reception many of you would call stupid.  You might say I was naïve, you might say I was over-trusting.  I prefer to think of it as friendly.  While I was mulling over the options to get to the viewpoint, a Dutch couple were conversing in their mother tongue near the reception desk.  I took little notice until they apologised and interrupted my deliberations. (I should mention at this point that they spoke to me in fluent English, I don’t have a secret ability to speak Dutch), “We’re so sorry to ask you this but we only just arrived in the village.  We are staying near here and have just realised that we have almost no money left.  We don’t even have enough to get transport to the viewpoint and to Bromo tomorrow morning. I don’t suppose there’s any way you could lend us any?  It’s just that this is a volcano and the closest ATM is 45 minutes away and there are no taxis at this time.”
I’d like to say that I eyed them carefully and paused for serious thought before saying “Sure, how much do you need?” But I didn’t.  I said it without a moment’s hesitation.  To this day I’m still not sure why.

After thanking me profusely they calculated that they needed 300,000 Rupiah (£25 – a fair amount in this part of the world). I handed them the cash. They looked a little surprised and asked me if I maybe wanted to arrange how they could pay it back, find out where they were staying or even what their names were.  “Oh yeah, good idea” I said, offering what must have seemed a rather gormless smile.

Luc and Nina introduced themselves and told me they were from Eindhoven and that they were staying in a hotel with no name. Strangely this wasn’t a problem for me and I still laugh when I look at the note they wrote me confirming their names, the amount they owed me and their current address – “Homestay up the road”.  Quite the ‘I O U’.

It turned out they were going the same way us which gave me a brainwave. If the 4 of us chartered a car, we could get from Bromo to Bali via a stopover at Gunung Ijen for just 1.6 million Rupiah.  Of course I would have to lend them all the money for it.  This, again, I did with no hesitation.  Having now lent these strangers from Eindhoven over £80 we said our goodbyes. I had actually now given away almost all of our money. That’s when I saw our driver from Yogyakarta sitting behind me.  “Excuse me sir, can you pay me now? I have long way to drive back.”  
“Ah.” I said.

After some very awkward begging of the receptionist to give me some money back to pay our driver, and, in turn, let me pay their driver the next day, I returned to our room. Jess was looking confused and, dare I say, a little annoyed as we had an early start, “What on earth took you so long!?”
“Don’t worry”, I replied, “I just gave all our money to some Dutch people.”
“No you didn’t you liar”.
“Yes I did actually” I showed her my almost empty wallet, smiling (again gormlessly).  Jess wasn’t smiling.
“What?! Why?!”
“They wanted to borrow it. It’s fine, they’re Dutch.  Dutch people are very trustworthy.”

Needless to say Jess was a little less optimistic than I.  But fortunately Luc and Nina turned out to be wonderful people and excellent hiking and travel companions.

We made our way to the viewpoint at 4am the next day.  To say that the sight of Gunung Bromo is spectacular at dawn is an understatement.  With the clouds sitting below us and reflecting the sun as it rose, it was the kind of beautiful that just makes you sit back and shut up.  I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Bromo's crater - our next stop to have a look inside
There was something surreal about all the clouds beneath us
Bromo began erupting earlier in the year and had been erupting for 6 months until July. As a result the entire local area was covered in a layer of volcanic ash which, by the way, we were finding in ALL KINDS of places for several days.   Over thousands of years the numerous eruptions have created a volcanic ash desert on the plains around the volcano which is known as the ‘Sea of Sands’.  We trundled over the Sea of Sands in a 4x4 and then climbed up to rim of Bromo’s steaming crater to have a peer inside.

First time I'd looked into an active volcano
Jess stares out over the 'Sea of Sands'
We then set off for our next destination Gunung Ijen.  We spent a night in a coffee plantation (think Java coffee…) and had another very early start to hike up Ijen.  It was a steep 3km climb to the crater lake and sulphur mines, which when carrying nothing more than a camera bag was tough enough.  But we were astonished to see dozens of local men climbing up the crater and trundling down the steep  slope carrying two baskets of sulphur across their shoulders. Those of you familiar with my strength will know this is no great measure, but I was unable to even lift these baskets an inch off the ground.  Each basket weighs around 45kg, 90kg in total.  They get paid about 4.5p per kg.  So one 3 hour back breaking trip nets them the princely sum of £4.05   We climbed down into the crater and back out again and it was completely shattering – we could only imagine what it’s like doing it with a 90kg load on your shoulders. 


It was a long hike.
But it was a damned sight longer for him
The miners make their way back up for round 2
On reaching the summit, we peered down into the sulphur mines in the crater
It was a beautiful setting up above the clouds peering into the crater lake and sulphur mines, except for the truly horrific sulphurous stench being pumped out of the volcano’s gut.  It was not only a nasty smell, it actually burnt the back of your throat and lungs when the wind blew the wrong way.  And yes, you guessed it, the local miners were standing right in the middle of the fumes working away. You don’t need to be a doctor to work out that isn’t good for you.


These guys seriously earn their (very little) money
It didn't just smell a bit - it made your eyes water and lungs burn - and we weren't that close.
"We just climbed down that!" - Yes, but now we've got to climb back up...
But it was a bit easier for us than it was for these guys.
So on making our way back down to the waiting car, the 4 of us set off to catch our ferry to Bali.  We said farewell to Luc and Nina when we arrived and commemorated it with possibly the best meal we’d had in days – the Indonesian version of a Pot Noodle – a Pop Mie.  It was a moment we’ll cherish and set us up well for our time in Bali.

Pop Mie with Luc and Nina


1 comment: